August 6, 2013

If Your Accounting Firm is Organized as a Partnership, IRS Requires 1099s for Fees Paid

The IRS requires businesses, self-employed individuals, and not-for-profit organizations to issue Form 1099-MISC for professional service fees of $600 or more paid to accountants who are not corporations.

Accounting Fee Treatment for Self-Employed Individuals

For self-employed individuals, it is common practice to allocate portions of accounting fees to different schedules on an income tax return.  The IRS adds some complexity due to the fact that the business portion of the accounting fees requires 1099 reporting, while the personal portion is not reported.  This subject takes on added importance because the IRS now asks on every business income tax form whether you made any payments that require form 1099 and whether you filed the required 1099’s.

Also an added note for security:  Self-employed individuals who use their social security number can obtain a business federal ID number so that they issue 1099’s with the federal ID number instead of handing out their personal social security number.

Read about requirements for filing Form 1099-Misc.

All Insights

Keep up with Anders

Want to keep up with all the latest insights from Anders? Subscribe and receive the information that matters to you.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.