Why Participate in a Summer Leadership Program?
Summer is a time to relax by the pool and unwind after a hard semester, right? Well you may want to rethink checking out this upcoming summer. As the end of the semester approaches, now is prime time to land yourself an internship by applying for a summer leadership program!
What are summer leadership programs and why are they crucial to advancing your career?
Summer leadership programs vary by firm, but most involve spending a few days at the firm following your junior year. There are many reasons these programs are beneficial, but most importantly:
- See the office. Meet the people. Before committing to an internship or full-time position, why not meet the people who work there? Can you see yourself coming to work here every day? Do you see yourself eating lunch and becoming friends with these employees? We spend a lot of time at work. It’s nice to enjoy the people and environment while you’re there.
- Make an informed decision. These programs are designed to help you make a more informed decision about your career. They give participants an up-close view of the accounting industry and the differences between tax vs. audit. Deciding between tax and audit can be a hard decision to make, especially when students haven’t taken classes in either area.
- Meet other students. These students will be from different universities and backgrounds. Learn from them and where they see their career going. These relationships could lead to long-lasting connections as you begin your career.
- Compare firms. Participate in a few different programs. Try a large firm, small firm, local firm, or national firm. All of these firms have differences that make them unique. Find where you fit!
And the one you’ve all been waiting for…
- A job offer may be in your future. For many firms, interviews are part of the process, either during or following the program. These interviews lead to internships and internships lead to full-time offers. And landing that job after graduation is really the goal, isn’t it?
Sound like something you should participate in?
Look into these programs now, don’t wait! Interviews take place throughout the year. Companies even start looking for candidates during fall recruiting. It may seem early, but it is happening! Don’t wait to begin thinking about your summer plans. The spots will be full and you will have missed out on a fantastic opportunity.