Manufacturers Indicate Optimistic 2018 in LEA Outlook Survey
For the second year, Anders has teamed up with the Leading Edge Alliance (LEA) to jointly release the results from the 2018 LEA National Manufacturing Outlook Survey.
More than 450 manufacturing executives participated in the survey from a variety of industries including industrial, machining, transportation and automotive, construction and food and beverage, among others.
Optimism is high as manufacturers’ responses indicated they have a more positive outlook about the economy for 2018 than in 2017. The growing U.S. and global economies, rising energy and commodity prices and improved business and consumer confidence support this positive outlook.
Survey results for 2018 include:
- 81% of manufacturers believe their revenue will increase in 2018, with 72% eyeing organic growth in the U.S. as their primary opportunity to increase sales
- Manufacturers are more optimistic about the regional and national economy than the global economy, yet notably, the optimism rating for all three has increased by more than 10 points since the 2017 outlook
- 62% of manufacturers expect their sectors to grow, more than doubling the 2017 outlook. Food and beverage and construction materials cite the highest optimism for sector growth
- Manufacturers’ top three priorities are growth sales, cutting costs and addressing the talent gap
- More than half of survey participants cited the labor shortage as the greatest risk or barrier to growth, and more than half of manufacturers expect to increase hiring
- Respondents plan to utilize technology to reduce risks and build a competitive advantage. 75% said that they will investigate or prioritize cybersecurity in 2018, and 50% will focus on Big Data/ERP/IoT
Despite the improved outlook, hurdles remain. The dichotomy of growing sales while cutting costs may also present a challenge. Through all the potential changes, working with a team of industry-experienced advisors to provide insight and answers continues to be critically important. Please contact an Anders advisor with any questions, or learn how our Manufacturing and Distribution services can benefit your business.